We spend too much time on our hand knits to throw them away when they get a hole. Join Holli Yeoh for a three-hour, hands-on repair class. You’ll learn Swiss darning, stocking darning and how to use a knitted patch to repair a hole. The techniques are transferable to commercially made garments, as well.
DATES: Sunday February 16th from 3:30-6:30pm
COST: $82.00 (+tax) includes Holli Yeoh mending kit valued at $32.00
Minimum 5 and max 10 participants
INSTRUCTOR: Holli Yeoh, of Holli Yeoh Designs
Holli will demonstrate how to use decorative embroidery as a repair strategy as well as needle felting to repair small holes.
Holli Yeoh’s Repair Kit (valued at $31) is included
in the cost of this workshop and includes: Eucalan sample, bent-tip needle, straight needle, needle felting needle, foam, locking stitch markers, small embroidery hoop, embroidery floss, sweater/blanket storage bag.
- If you have one, bring a swatch from a completed project in stockinette stitch on smooth yarn (so you can see the stitches) that you are comfortable cutting, or
- If you’d like to make one, you could work up a 5 inch square swatch in a smooth yarn, preferably wool. Work in stockinette stitch with a moss or garter stitch border.
- Some small amounts of yarn for repairs in the same weight as your swatch but not in the same colour. For this class, you want to be able to see your fixes!
- Knit items (hand or commercial knits) with holes or thin spots for a discussion on strategies for fixing them
- Two double pointed needles in a size appropriate for the weight of yarn/swatch
- Crochet hook approximate size of knitting needles
- Basic knitter’s toolkit (any other items you tend to use)