THIS IS AN ONLINE CLASS via ZOOM, so you will also need to have a decent internet connection and download the free ZOOM app. Instructions will be emailed before 1st class.
For the knitter who has been knitting for a while and feels like they’ve found their footing. Let’s put a sock on it!
Over a few weeks you will knit a top-down boot sock (DK-weight) or an around-home sock (Worsted-weight). You can also knit a tiny sock if you don’t have time for homework. If you’re a knitting socks for someone else, bring in their measurements: foot circumference around the ball of the foot and length.
Techniques To Be Learned:
- Holli’s favourite stretchy cast on
- Circular knitting with double-pointed needles (DPNs), or two circular needles or one long circular needle for Magic Loop (your choice)
- Avoiding ladders and loose stitches
- Heel construction including heel flap, heel turn and picking up stitches around the heel
- Grafting (Kitchener stitch)
- Getting the right fit
- 3.25mm needles for a DK weight sock OR 3.75mm needles for a Worsted weight sock; choose either DPNs, two 24″ circular needles for two circulars method, or one 32″ or longer circular needle for the Magic Loop method
- 375yd/345m of DK weight such as Estelle DK OR 350yd/320m of Worsted weight yarn such as Uptown Worsted. For online classes recommend choosing a lighter colour or yarn.
- Measuring tape
- Stitch markers
- Tapestry needle
Materials can be purchased at Baaad Anna’s Yarn Store. (Current Canada Post shipping turnaround is min one week, please be sure to order supplies with enough time for them to arrive before the start of class; OR call (604) 255 2577 for more immediate curbside pickup. We are currently open seven days a week from 11-6pm!
COST: $95 (+tax)
Minimum 3 participants and maximum 10
INSTRUCTOR: Holli Yeoh of Holli Yeoh Designs
Holli feels strongly about fine craftsmanship, believing that while there’s more than one right way to do things, it’s important to do it right! To this end, she teaches skills that enable knitters to feel justified pride in their finished objects, while accommodating different knitting styles and preferences. Students leave her workshops with an arsenal of valuable techniques, deep understanding of the choices to be made in knitting, and new confidence.
Photos courtesy of Holli Yeoh.